Clicking on an image will open a new window with a bigger picture.
Wilson Bridge, the oldest and perhaps the most graceful of Washington County’s limestone arches, was considered a modern marvel at the time of its completion in 1819. Its fine workmanship, by the mason Silas Harry, served as a pattern for some thirty stone bridges that would follow in the region. The five-arch, 210-foot-long bridge carried the state-chartered National Pike (later designated US 40) over Conococheague Creek to join the National Road at Cumberland, providing a pivotal link between eastern seaport cities and western markets. Wilson Bridge was bypassed in 1936, when US 40 was rerouted and a newer bridge built downstream. It remained open for local traffic until 1972, when flood damage from Tropical Storm Agnes relegated it to foot traffic.
Back to Historic Bridges of Maryland
707 North Calvert Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21202-3601
Main Business Line – 410-545-0300
Safety Campaigns – 1-800-323-6742
For emergencies, call MDOT SHA's Statewide Operations Center at 410-582-5650.
Frequently Asked Questions
Public Information Act